Independent Bookstore Day (IBD) is a one-day national party that takes place at indie bookstores across the country on the last Saturday in April, and YOU are invited!
We celebrate indie bookstores because we’re not just stores – we’re community centers and local anchors run by passionate readers just like you. Best of all, we’re not a dying breed – there are more of us now than last year, and we’re continuing to grow!
Hooray for Books! has planned a daylong celebration featuring a story time, author presentation, reading therapy dog, scavenger hunt, exclusive IBD items for sale, and lots more (complete list of activities below).
Join us on Saturday, April 28, from 10 am to 8 pm to celebrate Alexandria’s community of readers and indie bookstore supporters!
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Stop by anytime to:
- Purchase Independent Bookstore Day-specific items. Supplies are limited, and items are available only in the store. Sorry, we cannot take advance orders or hold items prior to Saturday, April 28.
- Be an author for the day and contribute one sentence to our “Readers as Writers” story project
- Color inside or outside the lines on a Hooray for Books! coloring sheet
- Participate in a storewide scavenger hunt (everyone successfully completing it wins a prize!)
- Vote for the Children’s and Teen Choice Awards (open only to children and teens!)
- Win a prize if you arrive dressed as a favorite literary character
- 10 am – 11 pm Flash sale: 10% off bilingual and foreign language books
- 10:30 am – 11 am Story Time
- 11 am – 12 pm Flash sale: 10% off books signed by the author
- 11:30 am – 12 pm “Fractured Fairy Tales” in the style of Choose Your Own Adventure
- 12 pm – 1 pm Flash sale: 10% off books whose author’s first name begins with “I” as in “Independent”
- 1 pm – 2 pm Flash sale: 10% off nonfiction books
- 1 pm – 3 pm Adult author Tesa Jones presents and signs Reflection of Memories
- 2 pm – 3 pm Flash sale: 10% off books whose author’s first name begins with “B” as in “Bookstore”
- 3 pm – 4 pm Flash sale: 10% off T-shirts
- 4 pm – 5 pm Flash sale: 10% off books whose author’s first name begins with “D” as in “Day”
- 4 pm – 5 pm Reading to Raya, local therapy dog
- 5 pm – 6 pm Flash sale: 10% off jigsaw puzzles
- 5:30 pm – 6 pm “Fill in the Blanks” in the style of Mad Libs
- 6 pm – 7 pm Flash sale: 10% off finger puppets and hand puppets
- 7 pm – 8 pm Flash sale: 10% off poetry books, in celebration of National Poetry Month
Meet the Author Tesa Jones: 1-3 pm
Celebrate IBD with special guest author Tesa Jones. Originally from Alexandria, VA, Tesa is thrilled to return to her hometown and sign her second adult novel, Reflection of Memories. This tale of family, friendship, and love incorporates the historical events and cultural changes of the tumultuous 1900s, while following the course of one couple whose connection is stronger than class or circumstance.
Read with Raya: 4-5 pm
As a special treat, youngsters can read to Raya, a book-loving therapy dog, between 4 pm and 5 pm. Raya is a local Alexandria standard poodle, with a very sweet disposition.